Let Me Entertain You...Constantly!

Logic is one thing, the human animal another. You can quite easily propose a logical solution to something and the same time hope in your heart of hearts it won't work out.
-Luigi Pirandello (1867-1936)

Happy Wednesday, June 28th, 2017!
Today is the 179th day of the year. There are 186 days remaining until the end of the year. As I sat down to begin today's blog, I was listening to Perez Prado perform Mambo Number 5 from 1949 on the 40s channel on Sirius XM.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think  we would have half the strife in the world if people began every day with a show tune...at at least great music that uplifts all of us. I've written about this before but it is worth repeating, music is constantly playing throughout my working day, creating a great soundtrack.
Science fiction author Robert J. Sawyer wrote, "Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace." 
With the late great Dana Lorge at the Wheel of Divas for The Actors' Fund
The 'WORD' for the day is INTERESTING.
Think of this word as your mantra for the day. First apply the word to yourself, THEN apply this word to EVERYONE YOU meet. Think of this word as you respond to EVERY POST you see throughout the day. The 'word 'for TODAY is INTERESTING. Please pay it forward..
Maybe I have something useful to say today. 
I hope that I achieve this goal with my conversations and my interaction on social media. If you've been
following my blogs recently, you will find that the more recent ones have been more introspective, reflective, and in some cases, brutally honest with what I'm feeling these days.
I feel like I've hit a personal low. I feel like I have so much time on my hands I could go out and have lunch daily with my friends. I don't like it. I want MORE to do! 
I sometimes feel like I don't know who I am. 
I do know, however, based upon what I've been through in my life thus far that whatever my lowest points are, I have learned from them and I can teach others because of of those life experiences.
My husband, Danny, is a very successful landscape architect and he is ALWAYS there for me.
I don't always reciprocate in a way that I should. I tell him on a regular basis that there is a purple heart waiting at the pearly gates for him. Little did he know what he was getting in to when he met me. After 21 years, he said 'yes' when I asked him to marry me.
Yes, I asked him and next month we celebrate our sixth wedding anniversary. It is hard to believe. We just celebrated the 27th anniversary of our meeting. We have been together since the first day we met!
Cleaning up my own life is a full-time job, so I'm not bothering trying to fix anyone else's now. Although I'm asked quite often to dispense advice, recognizing other people's challenges  doesn't give me license to interfere in their lives.

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.-Judy Garland
Focusing on external issues rather than internal ones is a not-so-clever way to avoid your own work.
Do not mock a pain that you haven't endured.   

What are your dreams?

It's never easy , but it's worth it . Self accomplishment is the best feeling.  

I have huge dreams but I am feeling very stuck right now. 
That is my confession for the day.

I have spent the past year with my on stage series, Richard Skipper Celebrates..., I am moving forward on my book celebrating Hello, Dolly!, CallonDolly.com, and my other writing and yet I don't feel like I'm making real progress.

I really desire to get this book published. Well, why don't I?
As I write these words, I am making a commitment to ME and to YOU that I will!
I have a 'collaborator', but he seems to have disappeared. 
He is an accomplished writer with many books under his belt and he is busy so I respect that.
After the recent revival opened on Broadway, he reached out to me once again to get the ball rolling once again. A few letters were sent out and we received a few rejections.  
I have a new intern starting with me tomorrow.
She specializes in social media and we are going to hopefully bump up our media presence as far as the Facebook page and website are concerned. I'm anxious to see what she brings to the table tomorrow. I write about what I know and I have been fortunate to interview over 500 people involved with the various productions and movie over the years.

My daily to-do list is where my day happens. 
Every time I complete a small chore or task, I move closer to my goals. Life is in the details! I am taking control of my life and continuing the healing process. 

For me, I am seeking more of a positive collective state of mind, a shared organizational outlook that brings out the best in everyone I encounter, reinforces your mission and rocks OUR common goals.
I'm thinking about my goals with this book and project, and if my readers send me in the right direction, it is a win win for all of us. 

Reaching goals is always easier when we have the help of those around us!
Is there a friend in my circle who might know something about it already and can share information with me?
Getting away or the beach doesn't fit into my Goals paradigm
By thinking of even one person who can lend a hand, it provides me with reassurance that I'm not alone.
When things fall into place, I deliver the goods.

I first became aware of Carol Channing in the sixties when she was at the apex of her popularity because of Hello, Dolly!  
Little did I know at the time that I would have a long and successful career appearing AS Carol Channing!
That led to a few film and television appearances. 
Maintaining a career at 56 years old is a lot more difficult than it was twenty five years ago when I was 31. 
On one hand, it feels like it was yesterday. I certainly don't feel any older. I geel that I have MORE to offer than where I was career wise 25 years ago. For one thing, the crux of my career was appearing as Carol Channing. But thirty plus years of facing-and overcoming-challenges have given me a useful perspective on this business along with specific insights into a range of issues. 
I just saw a funny quote on Twitter: I don't want everyone to agree with me.  I just only want to hear from people that agree with me.
Experience is a valuable asset, one gained through a life lived with passion, commitment, and energy.   
Success isn't a matter of throwing something against the wall in hopes that it will stick. 
It's sometimes hard in the chaos of the morning to stay focused on what truly works. 
 I hope through these blogs that I will find my own road map for success. 

Last night, I went out with my producer (and best friend) and his cousins visiting here from Sweden. He is one of the most dynamic people I've ever met. A successful businessman, he regularly waffles between his successful real estate world and producing my show, while at the same time somehow manages to be a doting single father to a young child. We went to see a wonderful show, Carole Demas and Sarah Rice (along with the awesome Joseph Goodrich) in Thank You For Your Love.
It was a celebration of their collaborations throughout their careers with Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt.
Tom Jones even made a guest appearance last night. The SRO crowd at the Laurie Beechman were all as enthralled as I.
They return in October. Here is a REVIEW.
 Please be on the lookout. HIGHLY 
RECOMMENDED!
Tonight, we are going to see Bobby Belfry at Maureen's Jazz Celler in Nyack, practically in my backyard. I try, to the best of my ability, support those that have appeared in my series , Richard Skipper Celebrates... I'm also a fan, so it makes it easier!

When you win, say nothing, when you lose, say less. -Paul Brown

 The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new. - Socrates

I'm throwing back the curtain and showing my followers the little man behind the Wizard who is always trying to put forth a positive image of a man. 

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience!

Today's blog is dedicated to Richard Rodgers who was born on this date in 1902. He made New Year's Eve an event to Look forward to!

Life is so much better when you stop caring about what everyone thinks, and start to actually live for yourself!!
On June 18th, 2017,  I had the great good pleasure of singing in one of Richard Skipper’s Extravaganzas par Excellence at the Laurie Beechman Theater. This one celebrated Father's Day. It was a  terrific show and Richard was, as always, a wonderful host and singer.   The show ran smoothly and professionally and the performance level was exceedingly high.  Upbeat and fun it reminded me of those wonderful TV variety shows of my youth.  But it isn’t an imitation of one of them, it is Richard’s own, unique creation. 
If you have never been to one, I recommend it highly, if you are one of the regulars, you are already hooked.
 Mark Watson

 Anyone who has an opportunity to see Richard Skipper's cabaret shows should BY ALL MEANS do so! They're sensational! Great entertainers, wonderful music, lots of laughs, just the best way to spend an afternoon! I just cannot wait for the next show because I will DEFINITELY be in the audience (quietly singing along)!
Arlene Jacks, New York, NY


Richard Skipper is the consummate host.  I always enjoy the shows and all the performers--and even the little film intros by Michael Masci!  The theme song Michael picked for the Father's Day opening montage is one of my favorite TV themes--how did you know? Keep up the good work Richard--looking forward to your next season of shows!
Glenn Hochberg, Easton, PA




Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs , 
 


Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
  

Keeping America great through Art!     


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com
 



Comments