It's Not Always About Trying Harder


Hip-hop artist Mos Def wrote, All the things that are worth doing take time.

Happy Tuesday, June 20th, 2017!

June 20 is the 171st day of the year. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. This date is slightly more likely to fall on a Monday, Wednesday or Saturday (58 in 400 years each) than on Thursday or Friday (57), and slightly less likely to occur on a Tuesday or Sunday (56).
Tomorrow is the first day of summer! What is your favorite season?
So you can see this is a rare June 20th! Wishing Jon Ossoff great success today. Go Georgia!!
My horoscope tells me that I wish I could relax in a familiar safe space today, but my dreams are calling and I'm driven to answer. TRUE!
I don't settle! I pursue your goals and enjoy the journey. Every day is a gift.
As I sat down to begin today's blog, I was listening to Lullaby of Broadway from the original Broadway production of 42nd Street.
42nd Street, with a book by Michael Stewart, who  also wrote Hello, Dolly!, and Mark Bramble, lyrics by Al Dubin and Johnny Mercer, and music by Harry Warren. 
Taking the summer off from entertaining to focus on my CallonDolly project

I listen to songs and they immediately take me on a journey. In this instance, it brought me back to a more innocent time in my life and as I look back and realize that every day events happen that take us down unusual and sometimes amazing paths.
I feel like I'm just hitting my stride as an entertainer (with Glenn Hochburg 6/18/17)
I was 19 when 42nd Street opened on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theater. I had been in New York exactly one year.
It was a different time in New York. I was still finding out who I was. I was living in the Bronx with a woman named Lydia DiVito.
Me in the summer of '79 with The Unsinkable Millie Brown
When I had first come to New York the previous August, I met a woman named Millie Brown, or The Unsinkable Millie Brown, as I called her.
As I've written before, I arrived in New York on August 5th, 1979. I came to New York ALONE at the age of eighteen with $500.00! I had made up my mind five years prior that I would do that on THAT date  and I did. I did it without the encouragement of almost anyone. I had a dream and I went for it. I'm still going for it. There were many who tried to discourage me and/or talk me out of it. My dream was bigger than me. I remember saying at one time that I think those with no ambition might be at a greater advantage. My aspirations and dreams consume almost every waking moment of my life. It even seeps into my dreams.
The point is that I still work at it daily. I'm very disciplined. I get up every morning, grab a cup of ambition, go into my office and am driven until Danny comes home at night. Then, I TRY and shut down. It's not always easy. I'm consumed with the slings and arrows of this business.
Some might say my goals are unrealistic but I have little doubt that you can reach them if I continue to be persistent. Social media has made it increasingly difficult!
I saw a clip last night of Gavin Creel after he won his Tony Award. He said that he is not on social media. It is difficult to be an actor when we are focused on these devices instead of our craft and what's going on 'out there'. I have hit many snags and detours in my life and career.
When I first started having relationships, in my twenties, I often morphed into what my partners desired me to be. I also wanted to be as accessible to them as possible.
As a result my ambitions and career took a back burner. I met my husband, Danny, in the summer of 1990. I was 29. My entire 20s had been spent trying to secure my roots here in NY. My twenties found me drifting from various 'relationships' AND various room mates AND various survival jobs.
As an artist, it has taken me a lifetime to learn firsthand that success is not always about trying harder. It is about aligning myself with the right people, those that are on the same wave length as I.
I have met various people along the way who convinced me that they believed in my talent and desired to catapult me to the next level in my career. This has included agents, managers, producers and various other characters of that ilk. Unfortunately, their agenda was about lining their pockets from my blood, sweat, and tears.
Bette Midler: Current Toast of Broadway and our hearts
Each time, I was left with VERY LITTLE, a lot of heart ache, and a little bit wiser.
I look at Bette Midler's trajectory in her career. She came to New York to be a Broadway actress. She got cast in Fiddler in '64. Interestingly enough, at that time, the other big hit on Broadway was Hello, Dolly! 
Creating her future required her to build a solid foundation first.
She met Barry Manilow and they became the toast of New York with their shows at the Continental Baths.
That led to an amazing career!
She has been honored with multiple Grammy Awards and Oscar nominations for her work in films like The Rose and Beaches. Earlier this month, she won a Tony Award for her starring role in the revival of Hello, Dolly! She has definitely earned this phase of her life!
Recently, CBS Sunday morning did a rare interview/profile on Bette. She said she never looks back. She went on to say you can't move forward if you are constantly looking back.
I have learned the hard way that trying harder at doing the wrong things, making poor choices, and doing the same 'mistakes' over and over much too often, will not bring you closer to success.
Yesterday, I wrote about 'friendships' in social media. It has given most a false sense of acquaintances, friends, and colleagues. I am clearing the deck!
I cherish my friends, my audiences, my followers, and all who have a genuine interest in who I am and what I have to offer. If you find that we are no longer 'Facebook friends', think about the last time we communicated either with a phone call, an email, or even on Facebook. I am probably one of the most accessible people around. I am seeking a totally immersive interactive relationship that I call friend on EVERY level!
I'm not going to be able to soar as I'd like if we all aren't on the same page.
Cherishing my Friends Peggy Eason and Natasha Castillo
That doesn't mean we cut ties. Feel free to reach out anytime. As a matter of fact, I welcome that. I'm just shifting my paradigm. It's ALL good!
Also, if you've been 'unfriended' on Facebook, it's a business decision and not a personal one. It's just the direction I am taking my business.
Reach out to me and I'm here for you, ALWAYS! 

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience!
On this date in 1975 – The film Jaws is released in the United States, becoming the highest-grossing film of that time and starting the trend of films known as "summer blockbusters".
Thank you Alison Arngrim for a great interview today on Facebook LIVE today!

Life is so much better when you stop caring about what everyone thinks, and start to actually live for yourself!!

On June 18th, 2017,  I had the great good pleasure of singing in one of Richard Skipper’s Extravaganzas par Excellence at the Laurie Beechman Theater. This one celebrated Father's Day. It was a  terrific show and Richard was, as always, a wonderful host and singer.   The show ran smoothly and professionally and the
Tomorrow is the first day of summer! Celebrate!!
performance level was exceedingly high.  Upbeat and fun it reminded me of those wonderful TV variety shows of my youth.  But it isn’t an imitation of one of them, it is Richard’s own, unique creation.  If you have never been to one, I recommend it highly, if you are one of the regulars, you are already hooked.

 Mark Watson

Anyone who has an opportunity to see Richard Skipper's cabaret shows should BY ALL MEANS do so! They're sensational! Great entertainers, wonderful music, lots of laughs, just the best way to spend an afternoon! I just cannot wait for the next show because I will DEFINITELY be in the audience (quietly singing along)!
Arlene Jacks, New York, NY

Richard Skipper is the consummate host.  I always enjoy the shows and all the performers--and even the little film intros by Michael Masci!  The theme song Michael picked for the Father's Day opening montage is one of my favorite TV themes--how did you know? Keep up the good work Richard--looking forward to your next season of shows!
Glenn Hochberg, Easton, PA

Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!

Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs , 




CallonDolly.com

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!   

Keeping America great through Art!     


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com













Comments