Goodbye 2012...A Year of Blogging and Entertainment!

pics.urduwire.com
Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
~Oprah Winfrey


You need to take more responsibility for your decisions and actions, especially if you have allowed others to make them for you in recent weeks. It's time to get out of that easy groove and take on new challenges. 
-My final horoscope of 2012



Happy End of 2012!
I cannot believe another year is fast coming to a close. I also cannot believe that this is my 600th blog! Before I go any further, thanks to all of you who have supported me on any level this year. I also want to thank my detractors. All of you help to make me strive even harder to be the best I can be!
 I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the year. It has been a year of many ups and downs. We have seen mass devastation in the world and tragedies that we could not have imagined this time last year.
with my partner Daniel Sherman, Marilyn Maye, and Peggy Herman
The following is from David Friedman from The Thought Exchange:   
DO NOT BE AFRAID OF NEGATIVE THOUGHTS. JUST REMAIN CONSCIOUS WHILE HAVING THEM.
So often people think, “Cancel, cancel” can’t have that negative thought. If you’re doing that, you’re resisting the thought you’re having, and thus it will persist.
If you notice yourself having negative thoughts, don’t resist them. Just be present with the fact that at this moment this is the thought you’re having, and recognize it as a thought. In this way you won’t have to act on it, it will just pass through like clouds in the sky.
with Peggy Pope
 Try it.
 And have a SENSATIONAL day.
In TRUTH, its impossible not to.
Today, I’m going to focus on the positive aspects of this year. There have been so many for me.  There have been many changes in my life in the past year. It was the first year in twenty that I had no appearances as Carol Channing. I didn’t miss it, interestingly enough. It was like shedding an old skin. It seemed odd, however, not having Harry around, Carol’s husband. I miss him every day!
My focus this year has been on my writing.
On January 16th, the 48th anniversary of Hello, Dolly opening on Broadway, I embarked on my true passion, writing a book celebrating my favorite musical, Hello, Dolly!  
with Patt Barr and Joyce Bulifant in Palm Springs
This email that was forwarded to me this morning says exactly why I am writing this book:
Sweetheart, I can't thank you enough for the Richard Skipper interview.  I thought he just wanted to do something on the Pearl Bailey company of Dolly.....That man wrote a entire blog on ME!!!  I l just couldn't believe it when he wrote me, "Well, here it is".  It made me feel I was back in the business!!!!! (smile).  I still get excited over it!  Thanks agin honey, from the bottom of my heart....
Love,
Marky

I want to celebrate those that contributed to this show on every level, not just the ones we all know by name. If everything goes according to plan, you will be able to physically have this book in your hands next year at this time.
My blog took off this year in leaps and bounds.

with Tommy Tune and Dori Berenstein
Here are the top ten blogs of the year (based on readership and retweets and response)

1)  Doctor Tippi Hedren? (January 27th)

2) Patricia Ward Kelly: Celebrating Gene Kelly's Legacy! (July 8th)

3)  Nicole Barth on Hello, Dolly! (December 26th)

4) Jerry Bell on productions of Hello, Dolly starring Dorothy Lamour and Yvonne DeCarlo (December 27th)

with Petula Clark and Peggy Herman
5)Georgia Engel (Minnie Faye: Carole Cook, Phyllis Diller, Ethel Merman) (November 22nd)

6) Ellen Travolta on Hello, Dolly! (December 3rd)

7) Happy Birthday, Carol Channing (January 31st)

8) Emma Bell! (Januart 30th)

9) Is Show Business Cursed? Why do we lose so many legends so young? (February 25th)

10) Ron Young's Memories of Hello, Dolly! (March 23rd)
with George Marcy and Carol Lawrence

My Favorite Shows of 2012 

Cortes Alexander and The Lovely Carol at The Coterie in Los Angeles
Lucie Arnaz at Feinsteins
Raissa Katona Bennett at Feinsteins
Anna Bergman at Feinsteins
Betty Buckley at Feinsteins (joined by Jackie Joseph and her cousin)
Ann Hampton Callaway's Tribute to Barbra Streisand at 54 Below
Petula Clark at Feinsteins
Mark Cotter at The Metropolitan Room
Michael Feinstein and Marilyn Maye at Feinsteins

Terese Genecco at The Iridium
Peggy Herman at Feinsteins
with Elton and Barbara Van Orden
Patricia Ward Kelly's Tribute to Gene Kelly at The Film Society of Lincoln Center
Pamela Luss at The Metropolitan Room
Marilyn Maye every time I saw her.
My Occasion of Sin at Urban Stages
All of the shows I saw of Noel and Company
Linda Purl joined by Desi Arnaz Jr. at Feinsteins

The TheaterWorld Awards
Tommy Tune: Harvard Club AND Feinsteins

Special mention in a category all her own, Barbra Streisand at The Barclay Center)

Highlights of the year have included my signing with Linda Langton at Langton's International)
with Carol Lawrence and Patty Farmer
Seeing The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Jim Dale's One Man Show at The American Airlines Theater
Interviewing Georgia Engel and ALL the artists I have interviewed this year
Being part of The Piermont Christmas Tree Lighting after Hurricane Sandy
Being invited to Tommy Tune's dress rehearsal at The Harvard Club AND to be at his show at Feinsteins.
Honeymooning with my husband in Palm Springs and Hollywood.
 http://www.kevindozier.com/Wonderful.mp3

with Eve Plumb
I lost several good friends this year. Janet Carroll, Ruthe Charlow, Celese Holm,Ruth Kurtzman, Harry Davis, Buddy Towsend. I know they are all angels guiding me. Also, condolences go out to the families of Jack Klugman and Marvin Hamlisch.  Extraordinary and talented men. They will be missed.


I had my own health issue in June and spent three days in the hospital.
I also want to thank Barnes and Noble for giving me the opportunity to interview Peggy Pope and Ron Young at their 86th Street Location this year.

I thank all of the artists that I have interacted with this year on every level. I have learned so much from all of you and am looking forward to many wonderful gifts over the next 12 months! Tune in tomorrow to see what I have in store for you over the coming year! You are going to be amazed!


Thank you to ALL ARTISTS for the gifts you have given to the world and continue to give!


With grateful XOXOXs ,


Check out my site celebrating my forthcoming book on Hello, Dolly!
I want this to be a definitive account of Hello, Dolly!  If any of you reading this have appeared in any production of Dolly, I'm interested in speaking with you!


If you have anything to add or share, please contact me at Richard@RichardSkipper.com.


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!




Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!    
               
My next blog will be...Looking Ahead to 2013!

Thank you, to all the mentioned in this blog!


  
Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!



TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY
Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com                            
 
This Blog is dedicated to ALL THE DOLLYS and ANYONE who has EVER had a connection with ANY of them on ANY Level!











Comments

  1. What a great post, Richard! You have accomplished so much this year on your blog and in your personal presentations. I appreciate your help, and I wish you the best success and happiness in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a year!! Thanks for all the wonderful things you do...looking forward to your book! And working with you in 2013!! Happy New Year~!
    Francesca Amari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard, you are amazing and an inspiration. You've had an incredible year and it's wonderful to see your glowing face. Good thoughts for your always!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment